Forum Plugin Version 2.5 Release
An initial test release for testing is now available of the Forum Plugin version 2.5. This is the same code base that I have been running on this site for the past 6 months or so. I've wanted to add more features but have just not been able to find the time so felt it best to wrap it up and complete the work so that I could release it.
This is a major update with changes that effect the complete code base. Users should not use this on live production sites unless they are comfortable with some risk and can back out the update if need. Having said that I've been using the code on this site for months without issue but thats only 1 site and there are many feature changes and combinations that need to be tested.
A key objective with this release was to make the forum easier to theme and remove the use of borrowed images. I believe the new look is a lot cleaner and the use of the CSS based buttons will make it easier to adapt to other themes and color schemes. All of the templates were changed and a new common set of CSS declarations were used. In fact, the CSS standards used have become part of the recommended set for all GL Plugins and if adapted would allow site admins to theme all plugins via one set of CSS.
A summary of new features (read on) :
- New BBCode support for tags like [i], [b],[url],[img] - demo site here
- Enhanced online admin - now includes some 40 odd settings
- Support for READONLY forums
- Support for HIDDEN forums
- Support for RSS/RDF Feeds
- Rewrite of the Moderator admin - able to now add moderation rights to a group
- New moderator feature to split a topic
- New CODE formatting feature using the geshi library
- Centerblock enhancements
- New option to not receive multiple notifications of updates to topics until you visit the topic
- Support to now jump to a particular post in a topic - or last post
- Improvided Notification Admin
- Improved Member listing page
- Improved Message Admin page
- New Edit time limit feature so that a member can not edit posts after a defined time set in the forum settings. Moderator can still edit as before.
- Support for autotags within the forum to other forum posts
Please post your feedback in the support forum here
Download the plugin release here