PortalParts.com Site

Forum Index > Geeklog > ChatterBlock Plugin Support New Topic Post Reply
 Chatterblock Refresh
 |  Printable Version
GeneT
 January 22 2004 05:14 AM (Read 7513 times)  
Forum Newbie

I searched and read the only post regarding the refresh of the Iframe. Lemme see if I got it right. The frame will refresh itself, not the page that one is viewing. Unless they hit the 'Send' button, which sends their chatterbox post and takes them back to the Home page rather than the page that they were on when they sent the message. So, if one was typing a topic and wanted to keep that page open, they'd need a second window open in order to respond using chatterbox without refreshing to the home page and losing the info on the contribute/post topic page. Yes? I imagine they could go 'Back' and maybe not loose the already typed stuff, but it would be easier to have two instances of the geeklog site open. One to work/post and, if they wanted to respond to the messages or see a PM, they'd use the second. What I found is that the first, topic editing instance, does not refresh the Iframe itself. I tested it by sending a test message in one instance and not the other. The other instance did not refresh my message. But, as a work around, I could left click on the iframe itself and select refresh, which refreshs the frame but not the whole page. Is that confusing? In any case, this works around the issue of leaving an editing page to post and then also how to see posts in the second instance.

Profile Email PM
Anonymous: FreakWorld
 January 22 2004 21:08 PM  

Not realy confusing but realy hard to read with no breaks in it. lol
But the Iframe will refresh on it's own with out changing your page unless you hit the send button.

Thin yes it will send you back to the index page.

Now you know why most of us keep it on the right.lol
But that gives me an Idea.

Can the send and message area be put in the Ifream?
That way it only refreshes the Ifream?
Maby an Ifream in a Ifream?
hmmmmmm
I don't know much about Ifreams, so I don't know if that can be dune.

Blaine
 January 22 2004 22:13 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

The self-refreshing mode of chatterblock does use an iframe. Thats how it can refresh itself and only that area of the page.

An iframe is essentially and independant browser window. I call the iframe with it's source another php program with the refresh tag set so the php program is called automatically to re-read or check for new messages. Took me quite a while to get that all to work nicely and is still the only Geeklog block to be self-refreshing like that.

I've always wanted to find time to do something similar for a Who's online or Stock block.

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
GeneT
 January 23 2004 01:29 AM  
Forum Newbie

Yeah. I had it on the right, but then it didn't show in all my Geeklog pages for some reason. So, I tried it on the left and then it shows in all pages. Maybe because I use Menu, but probably not. Also, if I log on as another, I found that the Iframe refreshes normally. But for me, the admin, it does not. Kinda odd. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if that is true. It seems to be working well.

Profile Email PM
Anonymous: FreakWorld
 January 23 2004 08:51 AM  

what I always wanted to see dune with it is made in a messanger.
That way you can chat on the site and if you want to surf.
You can and still chat with people on the site.
But that means you will need to add the Who is online to the messanger side.

Content generated in: 0.17 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 09:07 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content