PortalParts.com Site

Forum Index > Community > Site Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Releasing portalparts plugins for un-restricted downloads
 |  Printable Version
Blaine
 April 27 2008 10:55 AM (Read 6057 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

I am considering to release my premium plugins as un-restricted downloads and thus be freely available to the community. Before I make the final decision to do this, I wanted to get feedback from the community to see if there would be any concerns. The present fee has always been to help fund the support effort for these plugins and allows me to prioritize my time to address any reported issues and questions the users may have. Once I release the plugins for general distribution, I will need to provide support on a best-effort as I have done for my other plugins.

Current customers that have purchased the plugins will still be recognized as such on this site as they appear in the forum with an identifiable badge displayed.

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
Rocky
 April 28 2008 06:57 AM  
Forum Big Cheese
Big Cheese

Hi Blaine,

I am fine with the idea. I think it helps the scripts to evolve with more people's help. I am sure, and I hope, people will donate with free will to support your effort.

Maybe you can sell support packages.

Peace!

Sam

Profile Email PM
Filipino
 May 18 2008 14:56 PM  
Forum Senior
Senior

Even though I had paid in the past I wouldn't have a problem over this.

Remember we can go to the store see a super TV for $XXX dollars only to return a few weeks later to see it for quarter of the price :(

Afterall Blaine they are your copyright and you can do with them as you wish.

Whichever way you choose if you write something I need to make life easier for me on site I would still buy it. Its one of these things we either do this GL thing for love or money.

Me personally I would like to see wider use ... but then I don't have your bills to pay each month.

Regards

Wayne

Profile Email Website PM
kingsley
 May 21 2008 12:37 PM  
Forum Senior
Senior

Blaine,

Even though I have purchased plugins from you in the past I would welcome your opening of your plugins without fee.

If you do that however I would open up your Paypal payment options. The last I checked you do not accept bank transfers as an option, presumably because you don't want to wait for payments to clear. For me it made it difficult to make a donation because I would have to first transfer cash to my paypal account (which I try and keep at a zero balance) and then make a donation. In at least one case I think I gave up on a donation because of the added steps involved. I just feel that if you are not going to charge for your plugins then you should make it as easy as possible for folks to make a donation for your work.

Would you consider bundling the glMessanger code with the Forum code in a later release if you stop charging? Doing this would make the forum plugin more competitive with phpBB and in turn might make Geeklog a more attractive CMS solution.

-Eric

Profile Email PM
Blaine
 May 21 2008 19:27 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Thanks Eric and I do have plans to release glMessenger as well as unrestricted download and will likely keep it still separate from the forum.

I shall look into the paypal issue as well - thanks.

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
Content generated in: 0.19 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 05:19 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content