PortalParts.com Site

Forum Index > Community > General Chat New Topic Post Reply
 Geeklog/PHP and Search Engine Optimization
 |  Printable Version
ronack
 April 04 2005 09:38 AM  
Forum Full Poster
Full Poster

I woke up to a nice surprise this morning, in checking my log files I noticed that Inktomi search hit my site at about 1am. It left my site 14 minutes later and indexed over 960 pages. Returned 10 minutes later and tried to to the pages that were hard for it to get through before.

So my short url solution seems to be working. Now I need to see how well Google reacts.

Profile Email PM
Blaine
 April 04 2005 09:49 AM  
Forum Admin
Admin

I think for a more technical users, there are several options such as what you have done. There is an apache re_write module available for IIS and many sites would just be better off using Apache on Win2K or other webserver with a re-write engine support.

I may yet add an option to use staticlinks but I can't make this the default as it just won't work on some setups.

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
ronack
 April 04 2005 22:12 PM  
Forum Full Poster
Full Poster

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only difference between a static URL and a dynamic URL is how it's created, users as they contribute content to the site the site script creates a URL to that content. Once the content is created it remains until someone (usually an administrator) deletes it. Sure some things have a little more to them than that. But basically that's about it.

Yes I will agree that probably 90% of the users out there are either on Apache, IIS or Linux and maybe mod_rewrite is for them. But I and many others are not using any of the three. Also I don't know how mod_rewrite works so I can't say on how easy it is to use.

Something else about my solution is that I believe without too much trouble it could be almost completely automated. I say almost because someone still has to type in the short URL name.

Currently I have to copy the long URL and paste it into one form field, type in the short URL in another field and click submit. 4 whole steps. The script automagically creates the short URL file and updates sitemap.php of short urls. I have not made a plug in for it and don't know if anyone even cares. But hey, it works for me.

Profile Email PM
Laugh
 April 28 2006 10:08 AM  
Forum Senior
Senior

Hi Blaine,

I was reading this informitive thread on url_rewrite and had a few questions. I currently run my geeklog site on windows server 2003 using php 4.4.0. WHen I enable the geeklog flag url_rewrite and browse the site no urls have changed. IS their something I am missing? I am using geeklog version 1.4

Thanks

Quote by: Blaine

I've just spent the last 2 hours trying to find a solution to the problem of using staticlinks on IIS. Passing a URL like http://www.site.com/myscript.php/parm1/value1 will result in a 404 - page not found.

This has been reported on geeklog.net as well if you enable the $_CONF['url_rewrite'] option which the staticpages plugin will use. Once enabled, you can not access the staticpages.

This is an issue only with IIS and certain PHP releases. My desktop is running WinXP Pro + SP2 + IIS 5.1 + PHP 5.0.2 and it works just fine.

My laptop is running the same but with PHP 4.3.10 and I get get 404's. Try using the admin/install/info.php script and pass it a few additional values separated by a /.

IIS should stop parsing the path at info.php and then place the remaining URL in a variable called PATH_INFO but this variable which should only exist if there is extra path info is being set all the time to the full path.

There is a MS TechArticle here but setting this IIS MetaData Property does not appear to have any effect even after restarting IIS.

I also found this article helpfull to explain the IIS Metadata Change but in the end had no effect.

Profile Email Website PM
Content generated in: 0.25 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 09:30 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content