Forum Index > Geeklog > Forum Plugin Support New Topic Post Reply
 Forum V2.7 posts takes ages to load
 |  Printable Version
webdude
 June 05 2009 18:05 PM  
Forum Full Poster
Full Poster

ok, now I am baffled :banghead:

I removed the last posts from my forum with no improvement, so I restored the database back a few days, still no improvement. So I figured maybe the damage is done.

So to test I created 2 new sites, one on 1.5.2 and one on 1.6.0, installed forum on both, same problem. Tried switching themes, no help.

Had the server host remove eAccelerator, no change

Had apache PHP recompiled, no improvement

Had the server host support check SQL and monitor requests and load to it when testing one of the new installs, SQL appeared fine.

So I figured maybe it is this dedicated VPS server, so I copied the database to my hostgator reseller acc and setup remote MySQL connection so the install site is on my dedicated server and the db on hostgator to rule out MySQL on the new server. Still same problem????

I have not tried it, but I am going to revert the forum from the latest 2.7.2 to 2.7.1 and if that does not work to 2.7.0

If none of this works, then I am completely stumped and my only option is to install SMF and get a programmer to integrate it with Geeklog user accounts.

Has anyone else come across this problem of everything in the forum working fine however when clicking on posts to open, it takes over 1 minute?

Here is the test site: http://thegiantsofmarketing.com/geeklog
(MySQL is loading from a remote server)

My new test install is Geeklog 1,5.2sr4 stable, default Professional Theme, lastest Forum plugin and nothing else.

Perhaps there is a setting or config in Geeklog that could be causing this problem?

Regards
Mark

Profile Email PM
Blaine
 June 05 2009 18:54 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

This site is also running on Hostgator and I have multiple geeklog sites running there as I also have a reseller account with them.

Sounds like you have already done quite a bit of troubleshooting and I'd suggest that it may be better to have someone with more Geeklog + plugin coding experience try to isolate the issue. There are just far too many sites running this same code for their to be a core code issue.

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
webdude
 June 06 2009 11:40 AM  
Forum Full Poster
Full Poster

I agree with you Blaine and thank you for taking the time to respond to my posts.

I have narrowed down my problem further and as you have stated, it is not the fault of either Geeklog or the forum plugin.

I created the same test back on my hostgator acc:
http://stellenbosch.za.net/geeklog

and it works perfectly.

Since I have ruled out MySQL as a problem on my dedicated server VPS that just leaves php (unlikely) or the fact that it is on a Virtual Server even though this encompasses a complete dedicated server.

So what have I learnt? Geeklog and developers know their stuff and there appears to be a problem running this on a VPS :-(

My problem now is if I use my reseller hostgator acc, I may run into trouble as we are launching the site to 500,000 prospects soon and it will die on shared hosting. My only option if I can't fix this is to host Geeklog on hostgator and remote connect to the MySQL db on my VPS. Alternatively I should actually take one of Hostgators dedicated servers.

Regards
Mark

Profile Email PM
Blaine
 June 06 2009 12:57 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Your welcome,

That sure is a large userbase - do you have any idea what the number of simultaneous users will be?

I have been developing the portal site for www.xtranormal.com, using Geeklog as the base. We get about 30,000+ users per day accessing the site but typically only 200 or so logged in users at any one time. The site is running on Amazon's EC2 cloud which lets the site admin bring on new servers as needed to handle the load. It's too much for one server but we are serving up a lot of content.

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
webdude
 June 06 2009 15:32 PM  
Forum Full Poster
Full Poster

Hi

Wow thats is a great site and you say it is on Geeklog. I am impressed.

Well we will market to 500,000 via JVs and probably another 400,000 via MikeG plus additional affiliates.

We have new sales copy that should convert above 5% so we are looking at 25,000+ members. I expect a large simultaneous number of connections initially and there after it should drop off to a few hundred simultaneous.

The Amazon EC2 looks good but they have a complicated billing structure. Would it be possible for you to give me an indication of what you Amazon EC2 monthly costs are for that busy site?

Alternatively I will take one of the high end Hostgator dedicated servers. It is a shame I cannot keep Geeklog on my Dedicated PowerVPS server as it can also be scaled up,m have load balancers etc.. added easily. I also have a managed firewall on it.

I am also glad to hear that Geeklog can handle so many users, I was a bit worried.

For your interest ours is a paid membership site and I am managing the affiliates, promotion and OTO via JV Manager2. Now if only Geeklog could integrate with JV Manager2 so that JV Manager2 could use it remote membership management to manage all the user accounts :-)

Regards
Mark

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.23 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 11:48 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content