PortalParts.com Site

Forum Index > Geeklog > Forum Plugin Support New Topic Post Reply
 Post Version 2.3.2 Development
 |  Printable Version
Blaine
 December 10 2004 11:48 AM (Read 38797 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

I have been working for a number of weeks on a new release of the forum plugin. I have posted an update on on geeklog.net here a few weeks ago but let me expand on what I'm working on here.

I have a lot of new features and changes planned - and it will likely be called version 2.4. The following is a summary of the changes planned.

• Support for RDF or RSS feeds

• my site and geeklog.net already have this availble now

• http://www.geeklog.net/backend/forum_all.rdf

• http://www.portalparts.com/backend/forum_all.rdf

• New BBCode parsing and support - see a demo site here

• Major overhall of the site templates and CSS to make it much easier to theme. Likely will no longer require template files per theme and all changes can be done via CSS only for each theme.

• New CSS buttons and images - as shown on my site now.

• Significant additions to admin online config of settings and options. All configureable options can be done online. Including number of posts to show in blocks, subject lenght etc. Some 15 or 20 new config options.

• Spamx Filter support

• New moderator function to delete a post and add links to SPAMX list

• Moderator function to split a thread to start a new topic

• Online update via the Plugin Editor

• ReadOnly Forums - Moderators can still post

• Moderator Forums - using moderation so admin must approve. Option for all posts or just new topics

• Hidden Forums - don't show up on newposts block or forum index but do also use other defined restrictions such as group membership, readonly or moderated.

• Improved search to search on "this" and "this" and "that"

• Also considering the following new features:

• Support for Attachements

• Support for Buddy/Ignore member managment to allow you to filter out all posts for members.

• Ability to subscribe to a forum and then exclude specific topics

• Support for advanced signatures that include images or HTML

In addition there are numerous other tweaks and optimizations being made. The items may change as I proceed thru this project but this is my current plans. No timeframe but this is more then a few weeks of work but suspect less then a few months. There will need to be several release candidates for testing so please monitor my site for updates.

This site is running my new code including the layout, RDF Feed functions and BBCode Parsing engine.

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
    Dirk
     December 11 2004 13:00 PM  
    Forum Big Cheese
    Big Cheese

Two suggestions for the search results:

1. Instead of listing the number of views (which is zero anyway for most posts, unless it's the post that started a thread), list the name of the poster.

2. Make the result link to the actual post. Currently, when you find something in a long discussion, you are taken to the start of the thread and then have to wade through the replies to look for the actual post you're interested in.

bye, Dirk

Profile Email Website PM
    RickW
     December 13 2004 09:47 AM  
    Forum Senior
    Senior

Quote BY Dirk: Two suggestions for the search results:

1. Instead of listing the number of views (which is zero anyway for most posts, unless it's the post that started a thread), list the name of the poster.

2. Make the result link to the actual post. Currently, when you find something in a long discussion, you are taken to the start of the thread and then have to wade through the replies to look for the actual post you're interested in.

I would like to take it a step further and consolidate the entire thread into a single search result. With additional tweaking, you could provide an option to choose Results by Threads or Results by Posts. For Results by Posts, only the message bodies are checked - I personally woud like to see the Subject field removed from replies because I don't like members being able to change that after the initial topic is set by the original poster - it doesn't flow right.

www.antisource.com

Profile Email Website PM
    MacDog
     December 13 2004 17:46 PM  
    Forum Newbie

It would be nice if would respect the LOCALE SETTINGS for date and time. Not all of us are using the US date codes.

Profile Email PM
    Rocky
     December 16 2004 23:19 PM  
    Forum Big Cheese
    Big Cheese

Does the admin setting have the ability to turn on automatic reply notification for all users?

This is requested by my site users.

Sam

Profile Email PM
    Content generated in: 0.20 seconds
    New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 12:20 PM.
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    View Anonymous Posts 
    Anonymous users can post 
    Filtered HTML Allowed 
    Censored Content