PortalParts.com Site

Forum Index > Geeklog > Forum Plugin Support New Topic Post Reply
 Post Version 2.3.2 Development
 |  Printable Version
RickW
 March 30 2005 08:54 AM  
Forum Senior
Senior

Most of the large fourm distributions make this unchangeable default. When you get tens of thousands of hits a day, it really saves on bandwidth and processing. There is one forum I'm a member of, they finally added this feature. Before I would get over a hundred emails a day if I were subscribed to a thread.

www.antisource.com

Profile Email Website PM
dgaussin
 March 30 2005 10:11 AM  
Forum Senior
Senior

Quote by: Blaine

I see - then that is a new feature. I was thinking you were saying there was a bug. I can do that - but I bet others will want to have a notification for each reply :?

:lol: Possible yes ;) Maybe even an option for each user :D

I did the modification today on my version, added a column to watch table to have a flag, and set to true/false if mail sent already.. Flag is reset when user view the topic.

Use Forum 2.3.2 and glMessenger

Profile Email PM
Blaine
 March 30 2005 13:37 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Shouldn't need a new field. The forum_log table tracks what a user has viewed and I think I woud just add the logic to see if I have yet to view this topic and if so then don't send out the notification.

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
RickW
 March 30 2005 14:19 PM  
Forum Senior
Senior

Will that work if they've viewed it multiple times?

www.antisource.com

Profile Email Website PM
Blaine
 March 30 2005 19:43 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

If a user views a topic multiple times - the log record timestamp is just updated.

I have this working now but it was a fair bit more complex since users can subscribe to a complete forum as well as just a topic. When then subscribe to a complete forum there is only 1 record in the watch table to show but I need to be able to track per topic in the forum if they have received a notification. I don't want to have to create now extra records per topic and per user to track this and found a way without having to.

But in doing so .. I found another problem or new feature that's needed. I should be able to subscribe to a complete forum and then un-subscribe from individual topics should I want to. Adding that now.

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
Content generated in: 0.32 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 11:20 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content