Forum Index > Geeklog > Forum Plugin Support New Topic
 Forum Version 2.6 Testing Feedback
 |  Printable Version
Blaine
 November 25 2006 17:10 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Rocky

It will be beneficial for the users to be able to navigate to a specified category. Currently you can only view all categories in one page with the forums, but not if you want to view only a single category, or if you want to give a link to someone that points to a single category. Am I right?

Sam

Actually, this is the first time I've had anyone ask for this feature. I've considered it in the past but have not seen any real value in it. Reason: a site would need to have a lot of large categories else why not just link to the main index page. I don't see the reason to link to a page with 3 forums listed - but that may be just me.

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
ironmax
 November 30 2006 15:43 PM  
Forum Big Cheese
Big Cheese

Quote by: Blaine

Quote by: Rocky

It will be beneficial for the users to be able to navigate to a specified category. Currently you can only view all categories in one page with the forums, but not if you want to view only a single category, or if you want to give a link to someone that points to a single category. Am I right?

Sam

Actually, this is the first time I've had anyone ask for this feature. I've considered it in the past but have not seen any real value in it. Reason: a site would need to have a lot of large categories else why not just link to the main index page. I don't see the reason to link to a page with 3 forums listed - but that may be just me.

Actually now that I see how this is explained, its not a half baked idea. I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for this. What if the admin wants to link directly for a forum on the menu's instead of linking to the main category list or the thread its self...once the thread is done...no need for the link. However, the need for a link for the forum under the category would be nice.

Michael

Ironmax Your have the right to say whatever wish. But just as you may not open my door to say it, you also may not put it in my email box. Your rights end

Profile Email Website PM
Blaine
 November 30 2006 16:57 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: ironmax

However, the need for a link for the forum under the category would be nice.

Michael

You certainly can link to the forum today - that would list all the topics in the forum. What Rocky is asking is a link to a category which would then list - only the forums in that category. That may be 2-4 forums - and would essentially be a partial listing of what you see at the main forum index. It woud not be a listing of topics. As I noted, I just don't see a big demand to have a page list the forums in a single category.

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
Laugh
 November 30 2006 18:01 PM  
Forum Senior
Senior

Just notice a possible bug,

I have Notify Once Only set to yes regarding emailing of when a reply was done to a topic.

I just got 2 emails for this topic one regarding ironmax's reply and then one regarding Blain's reply.

http://www.portalparts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=7024&lastpost=true

Profile Email Website PM
Rocky
 November 30 2006 21:03 PM  
Forum Big Cheese
Big Cheese

Thanks for the information. This helps me decide whether to switch back from phpBB, which allows me to link to specific forum categories. It's not a matter of how many forums a category has, but the added functionality that raises the quality of a product for the a diversity of users.

Most software we use have more functionalities than we need, including Mark Evan's Media Gallery. A generous product naturally attacts grateful users and generous returns. What I like about the Open Source community is that it promotes a tansformational relationships rather than transactional.

Just a suggestion!

Sam

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.23 seconds

All times are CDT. The time is now 11:54 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content