Well, I gave figuring out my install problem another shot yesterday, but no luck. So, I'm trying here again. In case my previous description of the problem wasn't too clear:
1. Installed it according to the plugin instructions. Ran install through Geeklog Plugins and directly by URL to install.php, and both seemed successful. But I found the DB tables hadn't been created (added them by running as query with phpMyAdmin), and I also had to fill in the config stuff in settings.inc.php manually and FTP it up. I've doublechecked all the files placement, in GL/plugins/faqman, GL/faqman, and GL/admin/plugins/faqman (this last directory only has install.php in it).
2. When enabled in GL, it runs fine, until I try to create a first category. In the category creation form ("Add a Category"), I fill in cat name and description, click the submit button, and get a "This page cannot be displayed" error.
3. Looking at the HTML code for the Add a Catory form page (with browser View Source), I find that the FORM tag that is used to submit the form contains some odd characters instead of a path, like this (actual line from page source):
PHP Formatted Code
4. Tried to see what $PHP_SELF was about, since that's the code that seems to have the task of creating the proper form URI, but got...um, nowhere. Tried making $PHP_SELF into GL/faqman/admin/category.php, which didn't do anything.
5. (My PHP installation seems to be "fine", in that I've installed all sorts of software in my hosted account, which is at Hostway, a big, flexible and customer-friendly company.)
Any ideas? Thanks!!!!!!