PortalParts.com Site

Forum Index > Geeklog > FAQ Manager Plugin New Topic Post Reply
 FAQman installl problem
 |  Printable Version
tsavage
 October 03 2003 20:04 PM (Read 8260 times)  
Forum Newbie

My install seems fine until I try to post a (first) new category, and the Add It form action comes up like \"D^$ì^$

Profile Email PM
Blaine
 October 03 2003 22:04 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

cute - not sure what you have there

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
tsavage
 October 04 2003 13:57 PM  
Forum Newbie

Well, I dunno much about PHP, but looking through the code and doing a View Source on the generated page form for the category title & description, it seems like PHP_SELF should be generating a path, and instead it\'s throwing up that apparent gibberish I quoted in my original post. IOW, when I view source in my browser on the FAQ Manager add a cat page (as embedded in Geeklog), the form action=\". the gibberish..\".

Profile Email PM
tsavage
 October 26 2003 11:04 AM  
Forum Newbie

Well, I gave figuring out my install problem another shot yesterday, but no luck. So, I'm trying here again. In case my previous description of the problem wasn't too clear:

1. Installed it according to the plugin instructions. Ran install through Geeklog Plugins and directly by URL to install.php, and both seemed successful. But I found the DB tables hadn't been created (added them by running as query with phpMyAdmin), and I also had to fill in the config stuff in settings.inc.php manually and FTP it up. I've doublechecked all the files placement, in GL/plugins/faqman, GL/faqman, and GL/admin/plugins/faqman (this last directory only has install.php in it).

2. When enabled in GL, it runs fine, until I try to create a first category. In the category creation form ("Add a Category"), I fill in cat name and description, click the submit button, and get a "This page cannot be displayed" error.

3. Looking at the HTML code for the Add a Catory form page (with browser View Source), I find that the FORM tag that is used to submit the form contains some odd characters instead of a path, like this (actual line from page source):

PHP Formatted Code
<form action="&#338;C$4D$dB$" method="post">

4. Tried to see what $PHP_SELF was about, since that's the code that seems to have the task of creating the proper form URI, but got...um, nowhere. Tried making $PHP_SELF into GL/faqman/admin/category.php, which didn't do anything.

5. (My PHP installation seems to be "fine", in that I've installed all sorts of software in my hosted account, which is at Hostway, a big, flexible and customer-friendly company.)

Any ideas? Thanks!!!!!!

Profile Email PM
Blaine
 October 30 2003 19:00 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

The FAQMan code like many other PHP apps uses the variable $PHP_SELF for the address to post the form results to.

Create a simple test program test.php to see what $PHP_SELF resolves to.

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
Content generated in: 0.26 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 04:50 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content