PortalParts.com Site

Forum Index > Geeklog > ChatterBlock Plugin Support New Topic Post Reply
 Instant Messages Truncating
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: Anonymous
 April 04 2003 20:53 PM (Read 1304 times)  

First I'd like to tell you how much my site visitors like the IM feature in the chatterblock and forum. The only problem that has been arising is the fact that it truncates messages being sent. Is there a setting that limits the text that I am missing? My users use the IM feature a lot to talk to eachother while at work or school and their messages always get cut off when they are too long. Also, has anyone else had a problem with it telling you that a message is waiting when in fact there isn't one? Any help would be appreciated. Once again, thanks for the great plugins and keep up the good work.

Blaine
 April 04 2003 22:26 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Thanks for the supportive comments. Glad to hear you are finding the addon's useful.

Chatterblock currently only supports messages up to 255 characters. This can be changed as it's the database field type that is restricting it.

I've not heard or seen any phantom alerts.---There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that dont

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
Anonymous:
 April 05 2003 14:01 PM  

Thanks for helping me with the truncating problem. I just changed the database field from varchar to BLOB and it worked great!

Thanks again for the GREAT plugin. Can't wait to see your next contribution.

Anonymous: Anonymous
 November 16 2003 00:37 AM  

Technically you should probably use TEXT instead of BLOB. They hold the same amount of data. BLOB is intended for binary data such as jpeg's.

For IM this probably won't matter because you won't be keeping the data, but TEXT will enable you to do case insensitive sorts and pattern matching.

Content generated in: 0.17 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 11:33 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content