PortalParts.com Site

Forum Index > Community > Projects under development New Topic Post Reply
 glComm
 |  Printable Version
Blaine
 January 02 2004 23:58 PM (Read 2421 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

This plugin would be an integrated suite of Forum, glMessenger and Chatterblock.

Chatterblock was written as an alternative to shoutblock with admin features to easily edit/archive or delete posts. I added three different modes and the private message feature. The PM feature in chatterblock is basic and not all that useable. There was no alternative for Private messages before so It was added as a integrated feature in the forum plugin.

I wrote glMessenger to do one thing only - send and manage Private Messages. It offers a lot more and a lot easier to use. It's not an Instant Messenger Replacement -- thats another idea I've been toying with.

I will be removing the integration with chatterblock PM in forum 2.3 and will release glComm as an integrated suite. The suite would then have an integrated notification, Smilie Admin and Private Messaging functionality.

Users can certainly modify the existing public released programs to accomplish the same but I think intetgrating them as one package should be a glPremium plugin.

I plan on continuing development and suppport of my current public plugin projects - should anyone be thinking this is the case I may be offering addons or versions with new features as glPremium plugins which I hope can help justify the time I spend on the current public released projects.

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
Rocky
 January 05 2004 17:36 PM  
Forum Big Cheese
Big Cheese

I've been thinking about using IM for online meetings combined with the Forum. But, there is a need to share files, mostly text or scanned documents. If your new Filemgmt uses the same GL secruity system, then we might be able to use that for file sharing.

Or you can add the Filemgmt to this integration project. That will be great.

Do you think it is possible?

Sam

Profile Email PM
Blaine
 January 05 2004 20:36 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

I will want to add security to filemgmt but have to think about if it can be integrated with glComm and effort.

Sometimes a solution reaches a point where it is trying to perform functions it was never designed to do. Example Chatterblock and Private Messages. Yes it could do it -- but it was not it's primary design.

So I'll have to reflect on this more when I get to the design phase for this project. Right now - I'll need to get forum 2.3 out and glQuiz 1.0 completed

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
Rocky
 January 05 2004 22:51 PM  
Forum Big Cheese
Big Cheese

Blaine,

Thanks for the reply.

Since file sharing is the only feature missing to complete online business meeting capability, I'll have to figure out how to make it possible.

For the time being, a temporary solution would be to use Gallery, since it allows permission setting and accept all kinds of files.

Just a thought!

Sam

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.28 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 12:31 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content