PortalParts.com Site

Forum Index > Community > Showcase New Topic Post Reply
 Vent IT! (www.ventit.com.au)
 |  Printable Version
kb74
 September 21 2005 07:16 AM (Read 7738 times)  
Forum Big Cheese
Big Cheese

Vent IT! was my first project I assigned to myself to learn how to set up a website using GL. I thought it was going to be a very daunting task which in fact turned out to be a breeze.

Not saying there was any hick ups on the way :banghead: :pray: , but it was an enjoyable experience :thumbsup:

I descided to pump this to the max to see what GL was capable of doing utilising as many plugins as I saw relevant to make this site unique in its market. I think I have been able to achieve it.

I have used the plugins: Forum, Chatterblock, Private Messenger(which is great to utilise and saves users having to divulge their email address to other users), Daily quote, linkreferer, rating system, zClassifieds and a few other blocks and mods. I am going to try and link utilise machinaris new gallery plugin and Blaine's Quiz and Menu plugins inthe near future but I am setting up a GL based eCommerce site at present which has a higher priority.

Please let me know what you thing of Vent IT! Any feedback would be great. GL has also led me to meet a whole new group of great people in the GL community whim have been very helpful in the development of my site over the last 12 months(see the Thank You section Vent IT! forum section.

Happy Bloging

Regards

Kev :D

You can make a difference! Do it today.

Profile Email Website PM
zaurav
 January 24 2006 17:00 PM  
Forum Full Poster
Full Poster

Great site. I like it. I have loads of questions to ask you.
1st How did you put up a link to the terms and conditions and privacy policy? I have a site too and uptil now I have not put up any thing like that and would like to. Is there a way I can make everyone 'agree' to the terms and conditions when they log in? I would want this to happen only once: when a new member registers. As for the 90+ members already registered could I do something about this? like when they log in show a terms and condition page for them to agree to. but just once and not everytime.
I would also like to ask you to share with me how instead of 'new user' you put up 'new venter'?
Last but not least. I LOVE the lil scroller you have at the top of your site! I want one too!Tell me about it!.
And yes! story rating! I want that too:P. Im asking for too much eh? But story rating is an awesome idea and I've always wanted that on my GL site.

P.s- Why dont I get topic icons like everyone else? I have put up topic icons for my topic categories but they dont show up in the home page.

Profile Email PM
Blaine
 January 24 2006 21:11 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

You've been busy Kev - nice job! :thumbsup:

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
kb74
 January 25 2006 04:44 AM  
Forum Big Cheese
Big Cheese

Quote by: Blaine

You've been busy Kev - nice job! :thumbsup:

Thanks Blaine for all your help over the past twelve months, especially with the custom registration mods they work great as do the premium plugins. There is just never enough time in the day to do everything I want to do in my life including websites, but all I can say is that I am giving it a fair go. :shakehands:

Profile Email Website PM
kb74
 January 25 2006 06:07 AM  
Forum Big Cheese
Big Cheese

Firstly, thanks for your comments about my site. It is great to get feedback from people I am not associated with :shakehands: Secondly I will try and help as much as I can, but I still classify myself as green compared to allot of others using the system, but I am still learning and glad to pass on any knowledge I can. I just hope I can explain it clearly enough as I am not too good with technical terms. Here goes.

Quote by: zaurav

1st How did you put up a link to the terms and conditions and privacy policy?

I got a standard Privacy policy and Terms agreement off a Geeklog site but it was that long ago I can't remember wich one, privpol.php and terms.php(if you can't find them I can send email you the files if you email me your email address). These are pretty good but may need some tweeking depnding on your requirements.

They basically state in them by accessing the site they are agreeing everytime to abide by the policies and terms, as stated within them.

If you install TomW stats plugin it also has a built in privacy policy(I would recommend this as it gives you some useful info on you users- also check out some of his other plugins they are worth it as well. Asmoloneys GUS plugin is also useful). Once you have installed the terms and privpol php files just add a llink to each in your footer.html file within each theme file on your site, or if you use a menu plugin (TomW's menu plugin or check out Blaines premium Menu plugin on this site. If you are like me and maybe not to good with database modifications I would recommend Blaine's plugin as it is easily setup via admin controls through your site and is worth every cent) you can add links to these files from there as I have done for users at login only.

You can also modify your Members Registration form to include links to these file as well, so no matter what they have access to them at sign up and login eveytime. This way all your members can easily have access to them and you are covered in all instances (especially if you make changes-and you don't have to notify them about changes as it is stated in the terms-better for you that way). Once they are logged in if you set it up like I have members will only see the terms/privpol in the footer.

I would also like to ask you to share with me how instead of 'new user' you put up 'new venter'?

You can edit this in your language file.

And yes! story rating! I want that too. Im asking for too much eh? But story rating is an awesome idea and I've always wanted that on my GL site.

Youcan get the file here : Rating System

LOVE the lil scroller you have at the top of your site! I want one too!Tell me about it!.

Click here

And last but not least check spend time checking out geeklog forum/stories and geeklog related sites for nifty plugins, mods,etc. There are heaps of interesting ones out there I am still finding them too.

Hope that was helpful.

Regards

Kev
Tired now off to bed

Profile Email Website PM
Content generated in: 0.25 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 03:38 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content