PortalParts.com Site

Forum Index > Geeklog > Forum Plugin Support New Topic
 Forum v3.0 Development - new features
 |  Printable Version
Blaine
 November 03 2007 22:44 PM (Read 4354 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

Bookmarking Topics
I really like the Gmail star feature that allows you to bookmark email messages as it's a great way to flag messages that you need to follow-up on. I have added that feature now to the forum on my site and it's AJAX enabled so their is no page refresh. You can bookmark an individiual reply in a topic thread and you will see that it's bookmarked in the forum listing view.

You have to be logged in or you will not see the new . Clicking on the star will bookmark that topic or post (if you are viewing a topic) and the star changes to to indicate the topic is bookmarked.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
Blaine
 November 10 2007 22:12 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Support for Attachments
Attachments can now be easily added directly to your forum posts. By default they will appear as a linked file at the bottom of your post content. I have also implemented Marks new MG API's so that if you attach images, they can be viewed inline where the image is automatically resized so that large images can be attached and not effect the post layout. The images are resized to your site's configured setting.

PHP Formatted Code
[file]x[/file]
To display the attachment inline, you will use the file BBcode tag pair where x is the number of the attachment. The number of attachments allowed is also a forum setting where 5 will be the default. If you do display the attachment inline, then the forum will figure that out and not show the attachment as a link. It's able to figure this out even if you change your mind after adding multiple attachments and change the values in the file tag.

A new forum admin setting per forum allows you to define which site member group can attach files. So you can have a forum where all logged in users can attach files and other forums that only Root can. For now, on this site I have enabled Logged-in users to attach files in this forum only.

You can attach multiple files as noted, where a new file add field is presented after you attach and preview your new posts. Upon preview you get the option to delete one of the attachements or add a new one (up to the max allowed).

If that was not enough, I have integrated the forum with the knowledge of the Filemgmt plugin so that now you can add files directly to the filemgmt area. The filemgmt plugin was modified to have a new permission for Direct Upload and you can now give users in an assigned group this new permission. With the permission, they can upload files directly via the user->add file feature and not have to be approved by the site admin.

The forum will auto-detect which categories you have direct upload rights and if you have access to atleast one group, present the user the option to add the attachment directly to the selected category. You can still use the [file] tags to show the attachment or image inline and the images will be resized as needed. The attachment is just now stored and accessible in the filemgmt area.

Profile Email Website PM
Blaine
 December 01 2007 19:53 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

I am trying out a new tooltip feature that uses Javascript but fixes an few issues that I was seeing with the CSS only method. It's now much more acceptable to requrire Javascript then a few years ago and it does provide a much cleaner looking solution.

Profile Email Website PM
Content generated in: 0.29 seconds

All times are CST. The time is now 11:28 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content