PortalParts.com Site

Forum Index > Geeklog > Misc Projects New Topic Post Reply
 How does PhpBB Converter work
 |  Printable Version
1000ideen
 May 11 2008 06:48 AM (Read 3296 times)  
Forum Senior
Senior

How does this converter work anyway? Can I have a separate phpBB2 forum and import from there into a fresh GL with forum plugin?

What about user id=2 ? How does it import the users, from id=3 onwards? So user 2 stays root and all the other users from phpBB are being numbered from 3 on?

I suppose it does not realize that a user has been admin with phpBB?

This is a bit short in explanation: http://www.portalparts.com/paypal/product_detail.php?product=5

A side question: Can the forum plugin split posts e.g. if they go off topic?

Thanks

Profile Email PM
Blaine
 May 11 2008 08:31 AM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Good quesitons :)

First, the GL Forum does let you split a topic if a user goes off topics or piggy backs on another topic. I have just done that with your post.

You can tell the migrate script to import in and create new GL user records starting at any new GL userid you want. It does not attempt to match PHPBB posts to users that may already exist on the target GL site. You can select which PHPBB forums to migrate.

This is an extract of the comments in the script for configuring it.

PHP Formatted Code

/* Define which PHPBB Forums need to be migrated - can be a single forum or a list
 * Use this setting to migrate just a single forum or list of forums.
 * Leave empty to migrate all the phpbb BOARDS
 * Example: migrate PHPBB forums 1 and 2
 * $migrateBoards = array ('1','2');
*/

$migrateBoards = array();

// Set true if you want to delete all GL Forum Records before each migration run - valid setting true or false
$PURGE_GL_FORUM   = true;

/*  PHPBB user Migration to Geeklog
*   Not required if you were using the GL PHPBB Bridge since you already have GL accounts for the PHPBB forum users
*   If you are migrating to a new GL installation, you can automatically create new GL accounts for every PHPBB user
*/

// Set true if you want to create new GL user records for each PHPBB user - valid setting true or false
$MIGRATE_GL_USERS  = false;

/* Options to control deletion of Geeklog User records - usefull if you want to repeat migration */
$PURGE_GL_USERS  = false;     // Set true if you want to remove GL user records - valid setting true or false
$NEXT_GL_USERID  = 3;         // Next available Geeklog UID - used so that you don't remove any core existing users.

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
1000ideen
 May 17 2008 06:36 AM  
Forum Senior
Senior

Thanks for the explanation. Could you post some more of the config settings?

I suppose that the language and email notification settings are being imported? Setting these things can be pretty much of a problem.

And what about the PMs?

One more thing with forum 2.7: You got those unfortunate icons with text ON them "new topic" and "post reply". It would be a much better solution to have a small icon plus text after them

See the example here with "unclassified news board" http://newsboard.unclassified.de/forum . The head row contains small icons plus text after them.

Profile Email PM
Blaine
 May 17 2008 08:14 AM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Those are all the settings and there is no migration of the private messages. The forum uses templates so feel free to edit them as you feel you want. I believe all the links now use templates and can be altered to use text based links or images - use both if you want.

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
1000ideen
 May 17 2008 16:25 PM  
Forum Senior
Senior

The icons combined with text would be multilingual. Actually those icons now and the date seem to be the only non multilingual items here. That`s why I made the suggestion.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.23 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 03:54 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content