PortalParts.com Site

Forum Index > Geeklog > General Geeklog New Topic Post Reply
 Bundled Distribution?
 |  Printable Version
webbin
 August 15 2008 06:57 AM (Read 1974 times)  
Forum Newbie

The inclusion of CAPTCHA and Bad Behavior is a must these days for a production Geeklog site. The script kiddies are increasing exponentially.

Would the Geeklog Team consider releasing a bundled Geeklog distribution? This bundled distribution would include CAPTCHA, Bad Behavior, and Forum, along with the current packages. Everything would be installed initially.

I ask because the bundled glFusion distribution is going to develop along a new core code track.

Thanks.

Profile Email PM
Dirk
 August 16 2008 10:22 AM  
Forum Big Cheese
Big Cheese

The request for a bundled distribution isn't new and I can understand it from a user's point of view.

From a developer's point of view, the problem is that of synchronizing all those plugins from different authors. What do you do when there's an update for one of them? Preparing a release is a bit of work. Also, not every site needs a calendar or a forum.

My plan was actually to reduce the number of plugins bundled with Geeklog and then leave it to others to offer bundles (a bit like Linux - there's the kernel and various distributions). Aeonserv did that in the past and glFusion could have been another such distribution. Unfortunately, they chose to take a different path.

With the work that Matt West is currently doing (as part of the Summer of Code), it will become easier in the future to bundle/unbundle plugins. Ideally, you should be able to unpack the original Geeklog tarball, drop in all the plugins you want, then create a new tarball from that. So that would require less work and less inside knowledge - and could be done by people outside of the core Geeklog team.

So I think that's the way we should be going: Make it easier for others to create bundled distributions and let the Geeklog developers concentrate on working on the Geeklog core code.

Does that seem to make sense?

bye, Dirk

Profile Email Website PM
webbin
 August 16 2008 12:01 PM  
Forum Newbie

Dirk,

Yes, that makes sense. I was not aware of Matt West's work.

Thanks for your reply.

Profile Email PM
Eric001
 August 16 2008 12:12 PM  
Forum Senior
Senior

glFusion could have been another such distribution. Unfortunately, they chose to take a different path.

I guess that depends upon one's point of view. :thumbsup:

Thx!

Eric

http://www.glfusion.org - synergy stability style

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.20 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 04:48 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content