PortalParts.com Site

Forum Index > Geeklog > glMenu New Topic Post Reply
 glMenu and GL 1.5 - Menu Configuration - CSS Conflict
 |  Printable Version
gdl
 August 29 2008 03:28 AM (Read 2481 times)  
Forum Newbie

Howdy Blaine.

My first post in your forums. 8) I've been a fan of your work for over 2 years now. Thanks for all of the great software.

We've been using glMenu with Milonic for a while now, but the new CSS addition has really got us excited.

We currently have the 3.1 menu installed on 3 dev sites running GL 1.5. One the devs is for the release of our Executive GL theme. I am looking to have it use the ProCSS glMenu by default. Though we have found a couple of hiccups since we've been using the menu. First let me say that the CSS is layed out perfectly and I have no problem creating any custom nav I want. So thanks again for all the hard work.

I have spoken to Wayne/suprsidr about these issues and we thought you could shed some light on the situation.

The 3 installations seem to be ignoring the configuration, and that's probably because we are getting an error when saving the configuration in the menu admin. The error we get is "Error not able to open menu.css file for writting" (btw, "writing" is misspelled in the error). This could be a permissions issue, but I am not familiar with the file menu.css. Since all of the css files are named, headermenu.css and blockmenu.css.

The other issue seems to be that despite suprsidr setting the default menu configuration to ProCSS menu, and a forced Theme in the database for both header and block menus, glMenu seems to still be pulling in the style sheets for CSS menu. Forgive me if I am overlooking something obvious.

Below is an example. The images below show the same navigation (caches cleared). One is for Safari 3 and the other is for Firefox 3. The Menu Admin configuration settings for "this" site say it's using CSS not ProCSS. I get the error ("Error not able to open menu.css file for writting") when I attempt to change the configuration to ProCSS. So really Safari shouldn't be showing the desired ProCSS menu, but it is. According to Firebug, the headermenu.css and blockmenu.css for ProCSS and CSS menus are being called in. So this is getting a bit confusing.

Safari: Click to enlarge

The Safari example seems to be using the custom glmenu/procssmenu/headermenu.css (the desired menu). The Firefox example is showing the glmenu/cssmenu/headermenu.css. I am not sure why Safari is showing the ProCSS since it's currently set to CSS in the Menu Admin Config.

Firefox: Click to enlarge

On the second site, I have the same problem with both ProCSS and CSS style sheets being called in when they aren't being used. I noticed this originally when I was in an GL admin area and I used the drop-down Admin menu. The "current" admin area that I was using was highlighted in default link blue. This was far away from style I had in the procss/headermenu.css. After I looked at the procss/headermenu.css, I noticed that their was no style for "#menuitem_current a" and yet it was occuring. This is when I realized that the header menu was pulling a style from the block menu. Assuming it might have been left out of the headermenu.css, I added the style from the blockmenu.css. This didn't change the issue. It still pulls in from the blockmenu.css. So I changed the blockmenu.css to match the style of the headermenu.css, and this fixed the issue visually, but not logically i'm afraid. I have since changed it back to illustrate. Here is a screen shot from my CSS app to show you what is taking place. You will see that the header menu is calling a style from the blockmenu ( #menuitem_current a )

Click to enlarge

I'd be happy to work with you in resolving these issues and would be interested if anyone is experiencing anything like this with GL 1.5.

I read in another post that you stated to also update the css template files in order to have the configuration reflect the manual changes made to the css files when updating the configuration in glMenu Admin. I've done this on the second example dev site, though it didn't help the issue and seems unrelated. Since our clients and site admins will never have Menu Admin access, we prefer to handle the appearance of the ProCSS menu and the CSS menu manually, and only plan to use the Menu Admin Configuration for the choice of Header or Block menu options and not for color customization.

I am hoping to include glMenu CSS capabilities in several current and upcoming projects along with the release of our GL theme. If you can assist us with glMenu, that would be terrific.

I have set you up as a user with Menu Admin priveledges on 2 of the 3 dev sites. I have forwarded this information to you in an email.

I am not much of a coder so I will be referring suprsidr to any help you can offer. Hopefully my experience thus far is enough to get the conversation going.

Thanks again for such a great plugin Blaine. I know once we get this worked out, it's going to be extremely useful. :D

Profile Email Website PM
Blaine
 August 30 2008 09:17 AM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Hi and thanks for the supportive words.

I think we should first solve the issue you are seeing with no able to able to save the menu changes. With the css and promenu styles, there are 2 css files per type since I can set the header menu to use the promenu style and the blockmenu to use the more basic css menu style. This is why there are 2 .css files under these two menu style directories in the theme layout folder.

The menu editor needs to be able to write to these files as it re-creates the .css files when you save, based on your color choices. The editor uses a template file which can be edited to preserve site specific changes that you do not want over-written each time you change a menu color. For the headermenu.css, that template is headermenu_css.thtml

Have a go with that and then let me know if there are still remaining questions.

Cheers!

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
gdl
 September 03 2008 22:03 PM  
Forum Newbie

Hey Blaine. Thanks for the insight. We changed the perms for the items and config and saving or updating record no longer throws an error.

We are still having issues with the glMenu calling in 2 different css menu configurations in some browsers but not in others. Maybe you can help with describing the function of "default" menu setting in glMenu. Does this setting somehow reflect GL default theme setting?

The default theme setting in the GL 1.5 Admin Theme Configuration. We have this theme set to default for our Executive theme. This is the theme the site is using, and in glMenu we had the ProCSS header and block menus assigned for this "Executive" theme.

Though the "Default" theme setting in glMenu was set to CSSmenu. This is what I am wondering about. When GL is set to default for our Executive theme, and glMenu is set to ProCSSmenu for the Executive theme, why was glMenu calling in CSSmenu styles from the "default" setting in glMenu Configuration only for some browsers. Examples below.

Only after changing the "Default" setting for glMenu configuration to ProCSS from CSS, did this fix the issue. It fixed this issue for this site, since we are only using one theme. Though if we were using multiple themes, I am afraid this would be an issue since it seems that it's not taking advantage of the default theme setting in GL configuration.

Below is what the site was doing in several browsers before we changed the default setting to ProCSS

Firefox Mac - Calling - CSS

PHP Formatted Code
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://hallmedia.flashyourweb.com/layout/Executive/glmenu/cssmenu/headermenu.css">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://hallmedia.flashyourweb.com/layout/Executive/glmenu/cssmenu/blockmenu.css">

Firefox PC - Calling ProCSS

PHP Formatted Code
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://hallmedia.flashyourweb.com/layout/Executive/glmenu/procssmenu/headermenu.css">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://hallmedia.flashyourweb.com/layout/Executive/glmenu/procssmenu/blockmenu.css">

Safari - Calling ProCSS

PHP Formatted Code
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://hallmedia.flashyourweb.com/layout/Executive/glmenu/procssmenu/headermenu.css">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://hallmedia.flashyourweb.com/layout/Executive/glmenu/procssmenu/blockmenu.css">

Opera - Calling CSS

PHP Formatted Code
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://hallmedia.flashyourweb.com/layout/Executive/glmenu/cssmenu/headermenu.css">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://hallmedia.flashyourweb.com/layout/Executive/glmenu/cssmenu/blockmenu.css">

IE7 - Calling CSS

PHP Formatted Code

Also, I did copy over the CSS to the respective CSS templates in glmenu/procssmenu and glmenu/cssmenu. Now that this info is copied over, are the color selections in glMenu configuration for "primary color" and "on hover" supposed to reflect the colors in the templates or do these settings only write to the css?

Profile Email Website PM
Blaine
 September 07 2008 09:15 AM  
Forum Admin
Admin

The menu has no browser sniffing logic and the glmenu css files that are included are based on the user's theme. There may be some effect here from your browsers having different cached cookie settings.

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
Content generated in: 0.29 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 02:07 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content