PortalParts.com Site

Forum Index > Geeklog > General Geeklog New Topic Post Reply
 Login Box for Geeklog 1.5.1 went missing!
 |  Printable Version
eber0007
 January 27 2009 00:46 AM (Read 1728 times)  
Forum Junior
Junior

While setting users and submissions login settings using Configuration to make a private geeklog site, the next opportunity I had to log in the Login box is entirely gone. Prior issues had been bugging my installation as well: when a new user logged in, until they went to My Account and selected all Topics check-boxes and saved, then unchecked and saved again, those options would not be listed in the Topics list. Once this had been done they were good from then on. The 3rd oddity: Whenever I click on any Forum Menu item, the Forum Menu replicates itself directly below the 1st Forum Menu. Other than these events and break-downs, the operations seem to continue as expected. The way the configuration is set, they are now not even supposed to have to login, but the requirement is still required and can access a login using the "Contribute" header-bar menu item!

With all these unstable trends, I am lost what to do next, and wondering if this is going to work out for my Computer Forensics college club as our solution. Already I have users starting accounts and now it seems on the verge of an operational precipice. What should I do? Re-Install and re-configure everything? That would be a mess for my users...

Profile Email Website PM
Blaine
 January 28 2009 17:36 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Definitely odd behaviour. Were some of these issues present after the fresh install?

If you have a good DB backup - you can always restore the database. I would personally dig in and try to isolate and trace the code/templates but that's me. You may want to try a fresh install on a local computer or another webserver to see if you have these issues on a clean installation using the native theme.

Are you using the default theme?
Try disabling plugins to see if that is effecting your site.
Make sure the issues are not browser or browser cache related.

Please consider contributing to support my efforts ..

Profile Email Website PM
eber0007
 January 28 2009 19:29 PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Blaine,
Thanks for the reply! None of the issues were present after a fresh install, it is the out-of-the-box "Professional" image (prior to the Forum plug-in), and the crazy behavior is occurring on any browser (after the Forum plug-in but not right away, it worked as expected for a few hours), I tried it at school today and replicated the behavior there as well as from home. I have some database backups, but have never restored one before. If I do that, I presume my current configuration choices will be lost (no problem there, nothing critical) Will that also lose whatever user accounts have been registered since the db backup?

I'll try restoring the DB and see what comes of it, with the Forum plug-in active. I do not know how to de-activate the plug-in actually. First I need to root around in the documentation and find out how. Is there any chance I installed the Forum plug-in wrong if I got to the point where the installation listed it as installable? You may recall I was the forum topic that described how I used the Calendar plug-in as a model for what folders where (along with your documentation). When the plug-in listed as installable, I accepted I must have done my prep work correctly prior to that.

I'll post later as to what happened after the DB roll-back.
John

Profile Email Website PM
Content generated in: 0.15 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 05:28 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content